With effect from 2016, a Printer cartridge falls within the scope of the WEEE Directive (Category 3) – IT & Telecommunications Equipment.
The UK Regulations require businesses to:
• Minimise waste arising from EEE products and promote their reuse.
• Ensure waste products are treated correctly and meet recovery and recycling targets for waste materials.
• Design products by reducing material use and enhancing reusability and recyclability.
• Reduce the number of waste electronics going to landfill.
All CTS products which are subject to the WEEE Directive placed on the market are marked with the “crossed-out wheelie bin” symbol shown below in accordance with the European Standard EN50419. The below symbol is shown on any EEE product that is placed on the Market after 13th August 2005. Even though Printer Cartridges haven’t fallen within the scope of the WEEE Directive until 2016, we still have a requirement to mark our products with this symbol.
Information for users
The “crossed-out wheelie bin” symbol means do not dispose of your product with your other household waste. Instead, you should protect human health and the environment by handing over your waste equipment to a designated collection point for the recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment or contact CTS for our in-house service offered.
Reporting and Legal Requirements
As a Producer, CTS Wholesale Ltd fulfils all legal requirements and are registered on a PCS (Producer Compliance Scheme). We also ensure that the amount of EEE placed on the UK market is reported by the date specified by our scheme.
WEEE users (apart from private households)
CTS will provide free of charge recycling of all products purchased from CTS if sent back to us. For products other than CTS items, we can offer the recycling facility at an additional cost. CTS is able to collect any WEEE using our own courier, also at an additional charge. For more information please contact the office on 01543 474920.
Treatment of WEEE
We ensure that treatment and recycling of WEEE are in accordance with the requirements of the WEEE directive, as set out in the legislation.
Summary of CTS’s Obligations under the WEEE Regulations
• Join an approved Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS)
• Pay our PCS according to its published fee structure and membership rules on time.
• Provide information to our PCS about our business and the amounts of EEE that we place on the UK market on a quarterly basis. Our PCS then pass this information to the appropriate authorities.
• Mark out the EEE we place on the UK market with the ‘Crossed out wheelie bin’ symbol and our unique producer identification mark reported with our registration.
• Make information available to operators of treatments and reprocessing facilities about any new products to help with effective treatment, recycling & reuse.
• Provide our producer registration number WEE/MM5929AA to our distributors to whom we supply EEE. This confirms to our distributors that the EEE they are purchasing is from the registered UK Producer.
• We must retain records for a period of at least 4 years, including the amounts of EEE we place on the market, broken down by compliance category and household/non-household nature.